New York VJ Mumbleboy created the quirky Flash animation series The Boy way before Web 2.0. Back when “social networking” meant free drinks and mingling with the art crowds at the Friday night openings in Soho. (Like we miss that!). The Boy is the real old-school deal.
Here’s a prediction: in the years to come, a new generation of designers and animators will be emulating the Flash 1.0 aesthetics, and we’ll all be going on about how great those limitations of the early Flash and vector graphics really were.
The Boy is:
1. An Alice in Technoland animated adventure.
2. A Logan’s Run on DMT.
3. The most compelling use of a teeth motif since the Marathon Man.
4. A pretty but still vaguely disturbing tale in five parts of a boy’s sinister journey and transformation.
5. Draftman’s drawings and cutesy weirdness.
6. Hypnotic colors and spacey futurism.
7. Like playing some warped computer game with fathomless rules set in a bright pastel techno-distopia.